Friday 8 January 2016

Not to put too fine a point on it...

Well I had this on my list of things to talk about "at some stage" but I jumped onto facebook earlier today and saw that it's the 26th anniversary of a big album  Flood by They Might Be Giants.  So today (well, today American time, yesterday Kiwi time) seems like a great day to acknowledge the name of the blog. 

I'm a huge fan of TMBG. I fell in love the second I first heard them and to this day, some 18 years later (yikes) I still adore them. 

I don't think there is too much to say.  You get them or you don't.  Look them up if you don't know who they are.  You'll get it or you wont. That's OK. To each their own. 

As I said, I just want to acknowledge that yes - the blog name is a nod to they. They've been a big, very important part of my life.  Severe Tire Damage was the first c.d. I bought with my own money (maybe one day I'll tell you what the first c.d. I owned was...) 

No photos of my own to share here.  My best Giants shots are all pre-digital and sitting in a box in my garage! 

Here's one I grabbed from Flickr. Thanks to the photographer, Chris Devers, for sharing. 
They Might Be Giants, kids show, Regent Theatre, Arlington MA, 23 May 2010[/url] by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/cdevers/]Chris Devers[/url], on Flickr


And...  something to leave you with ...  You will learn this about me - I rarely ever name something an absolute favourite.  So here is one special clip - Don't lets start - the first video I saw of theirs - we're talking pre-youtube people! 

Enjoy. I wont be offended if you don't. 




I was just chatting to this about my husband - I was telling him that there was just such pure joy and elation at "capturing" this clip.  Back, pre-youtube and in the days of very limited dial up internet access I'd set a video to tape Rage before bed on a friday and saturday night. The following morning was spent checking the tape for "cool" music clips. I can't tell you how much I lost my shit when I found this clip.  My first TMBG video clip. 




No comments:

Post a Comment