Saturday 23 January 2016

Day 16(?) - no sugar

Sugar wise, this week has been ok.  I made a few slips, but I think all in all OK.

Positives / Good points

  • Hubby got home from a work trip 2 weeks early.
  • I've only added sugar to my tea or coffee once since the start and it was like 1/4 of a tea spoon.
  • I have driven past both the hungry jacks and the service station with really awesome ice cream on multiple occasions - when I thought I might actually willingly kill someone for a cheeseburger or ice cream *(I can't actually eat ice cream but still often do)
  • We had a meal this week which was out of this world good - it's the next 52 foods. It was phenomenal
  • I've been walking the dog more - it's become a chore I don't enjoy - poor pup but I'm trying to get back into good habits for him so I've had a decent walk most days this week. 


Negatives / not such good points.


  • Hubby came home bearing all kinds of sugary crap - 2 bars of chocolate, some sports drink mixes - I gave in to both.  Well - I had one mouthful of chocolate before I told him he was a bad influence and gave it back to him and the sports drink wasn't actually *too* sugary - which is why I allowed myself - but it was gross.  It was actually one of those salty sports ones so that was a waste of being naughty.
  • We had spag bol this week - I don't think it was all that bad - the canned tomato sauce was a bit higher than the recommended / aimed 5g or less of sugar per 100g *1: Links below, plus we served it on pasta one night and a sweet potato the other night.  We had it in fridge/cupboard/freezer and it needed to be used up.  Plus I was feeding hubby earlier than I had planned.
  • I used the salad dressing that came with the bag of salad last night - and went back for seconds.  No idea how much sugar is in it.  Way too much I suspect - but I can only go on what's on the back of the packet and I wanted it. 
  • my eating habits are all out of whack.  I've never been into breakfast - I'm trying to make myself eat it more often.  I am eating dinner at the normal time but I'm finding I'm *starving* late evening. 
  • Hubby is struggling.  He's said he's really feeling the significant cut back in junk in the house. 

Kind of not a positive or a negative: 

  • No change to my skin.  I noticed the first time I dabbled in quitting sugar, about 12 months ago my skin just started glowing immediately. Not this time.  Not that there is anything really wrong with my skin but I was looking forward to it feeling nicer.
  • No weight loss that I can tell.  We don't own scales so I can't say for sure - but I would have hoped for some thing kind of obvious. Not the whole reason I'm doing this but it would have been nice. 


Next week is supposed to be cold turkey week

We'll see.  We need a better meal plan - especially now Hub is home. I was hoping to have 3 weeks to navigate this and figure it out before he came home.  Moral support is great, but I really was looking forward to just dealing with the first few weeks in isolation. 
So the plan is to read the Sarah Wilson books for weeks 3 and 4, then to nut out a plan using the CSIRO books we have here. I'd really love to sign up to the 8 week plan which kicks off in feb but we just can't afford it at the moment - so we'll figure it out. But that's this weeks goal:  a solid meal plan. 



Links / references
https://livelighter.com.au/top-tips/cut-back-on-sugar
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/you/article-2612225/Sarah-Wilsons-I-Quit-Sugar-Life-Lets-gist-again.html
http://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/well-good/teach-me/75116166/can-you-eat-fruit-on-a-sugarfree-diet

No comments:

Post a Comment