Tuesday 16 February 2016

Shake & quake

A quickie - I will revisit this one in a few weeks. 

So the other day, before the period which shall be known as self imposed university based torture started (*SIUBT for short?) I was thinking about earth quakes - ya know - as you do. 

Being Aussie - they've not been a big part of my life. I'm told we felt the quake in Gloucester (NSW) when the 1989 quake hit Newcastle - we were visiting my paternal grandparents AND I have very clear memories of driving on to visit my maternal grandfather who lived in red head (newcastle) after the quake. He lost his entire front wall - yes - to the house.

So this leads me to - being prepared for a quake. I've decided to come up with a system and "go bag" (or a few) which means I will be able to leave the house with the dog super quickly if I need to. *edit: Since writing this up and scheduling it the Christchurch quakes happened.  While I'm on the North Island and didn't feel it - it's strengthened my resolve to get a kit made up. 

Obviously there are a number of constraints on what you would take, where you would go etc - but at the most part I want to be able to say "I need X from the garage, Y from the laundry and his bed which doubles as a secure crate."  

Ideally this would mean we could grab our personal files with passports etc, a change of clothes*, clip the lead on the dog and walk out the door. 

So I've asked on some forums I tend to hang about on, I also asked on a facebook page I'm a member of and I'll report back, after "S.I.U.B.T" to report on what makes it on the list. 



Bonus photo: The boy. Road tripping at Christmas time. 



*change of clothes - would be packed in a human go bag. 

No comments:

Post a Comment