Monday 8 February 2016

MOOC - It's educational!

A quick one from me this morning - and a Tuesday Tune from me this evening. 

One of my 'not resolutions' this year was a bit of extra personal study  - specifically to finish one 'Massive Open Online Course' (a MOOC) on conflict resolution.  https://www.open2study.com/courses/negotiation-and-conflict-resolution

I'll be honest - this is my third attempt at this course - I tired once in September last year and ran out of time, then enrolled again over Christmas and just didn't bother and this time around I was sat on the laptop frantically cramming the last two modules in - I power through two units then kind of loose steam.  Oh well.  It's free, there are no ramifications :) 

But what I will say is that the content is really interesting and I highly recommend the course. I've learnt a lot. I could have taken a lot more on board but it's been a good place to start exploring the theme. 

At the end of the course you get a little certificate which lists your grades.  It's not worth much, but it shows you're committed to learning more on the topic and I suppose that's a good thing. 

I've also completed courses on writing for the web and user experience for the web and Indigenous Studies for Australia and New Zealand which was really fabulous.  I found it really interesting and did it just before the move to NZ - I really wanted to try and get a basic feel for Maori culture. I also found it really interesting to read along with the subtitles and pause and practice some of the Maori words  - I don't think it helped too much - my grasp of the language is appalling - but it was the only place I could access that kind of resource at the time. 

I'm also trying to finish up the photography class - which I have thoroughly enjoyed. I've certainly learnt a lot from it - and I enjoyed Shane's delivery too. The art of photography.

The next round of classes kicks off on the 15th Feb (2016) and I really urge you to jump on board and give something new a try - https://www.open2study.com/courses

Full disclosure:  You can also 'earn badges' - little drawings earned for posting on the forums, completing courses, doing quizzes, getting 100% in a course. I ill admit - this is totally my thing. I love it! I really wish I could crack that elusive 100% !!!

Finally, this is just one of many providers or suppliers - if you don't find something that interests you have a look for another provider. 

No comments:

Post a Comment