Thursday 18 February 2016

52 Foods - #7: Coconut and berry muffins - little tarts

This was a goodie.  And yes, another one from Sarah Wilson.

We tried some sugar free muffins the other day and they were gross. So gross they didn't make it here - the only place they made it was the bin to be honest.

So I went into these ...  feeling unsure - but they were great. The full, official recipe is here: triple coconut blueberry muffins, but I made some changes and will have another crack with a few more variations - I think these could be amazing as a Portuguese style tart - which is how ours kind of came out.

So.  Here's what I did - as I said - entirely based on the linked IQS recipe above.

Ingredients

3 eggs.
1/4 cup coconut oil, melted.
2 teaspoons rice malt syrup. Left it out - I didn't have any
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract. I used essence 
3/4 cups coconut milk. I used 200ml - because that was a full pack
1/2 cup coconut flour, sifted. I used plain - I didn't have coconut + added about 1/4 cup more as the mix was a bit wet 
1/2 teaspoon baking powder. Left it out - I didn't have any
1/2 cup fresh blueberries, plus more for topping. I used frozen - which was a bad idea - it solidified my coconut oil! ***


Directions

1. Preheat oven to 180ºC/350ºF/Gas Mark 4 and grease a six-hole muffin tray with coconut oil or line with baking paper.

2. Whisk together the eggs, coconut oil, rice malt syrup, vanilla and coconut milk together in a mixing bowl. Stir through the remaining ingredients. I stuffed up here and added in the wrong order - bad I know. Which is where I think the tarty taste came from.

3. Scoop the mixture evenly between the muffin holes and push a few more blueberries on top. Place in the oven to cook for 25-30 minutes or until slightly browned on top.

Mine rose - then dropped completely but they were so good - they were so "custardy" they were amazing - we ate them hot, straight out of the oven for afternoon tea and as hubbys post gym snack. Yum.  We'll be making them again - we have one more punnet of berries in the freezer (they were $2 a pack! woo hoo!) and working on getting them more tart like. A word: I don't think this version would be much good stored or frozen.  I'll look at making some texas or savory muffins soon - or maybe even try some of Sarah's "Meffins" (Meat Muffins) - I do have an amazing Stephanie Alexander base for muffins which is basically fail proof.


*** I'm also thinking some yoghurt or chocolate, coconut oil and frozen blueberries might make a really yummy desert.

No comments:

Post a Comment